Monday, March 30, 2009

Who are the people in your neighborhood?

I've realized that at 10 a.m. on a Monday, everyone at Panera's falls into one of the following categories:

* Sleepers - the retirees who come here to get their senior coffee and literally fall asleep in front of the fake fireplace

* Freelancers - people like me, who work from home but don't actually like working from home. So we come for the breakfast and free Wi-Fi

* Meeters - pharmaceutical reps, insurance agents, etc., reviewing spreadsheets with their clients 

* New moms - Awwwww. 

* College kids - I can call them kids now that I'm 15 years out of school. Yikes. 

So, here's what Panera's should do:

1. Set up sections. If I know where the other freelancers are sitting, I might choose to sit with them, and at least have some company / networking opportunities. 

2. Name breakfast items after these groups, or at least put together combo meals. 

3. Cross-sell. Panera limits the free Wi-Fi at lunch, so I usually clear out around 11:30. But if they offered me $1 off a sandwich to go....  

No comments:

Post a Comment